4TH OF JULY STORY
- (Two Sams Can't Make A
- 'Twas the day before the 4th - now
that'd be the 3rd,
- And all through the station, not a
noise was heard;
- Ed Wells was sleeping - his hat
pulled over his face,
- Bob Brinkman sat contemplating, as
he stared into space.
- Three young recruits were nervous -
awaiting their first call;
- Jerry Woods was occupied in the
second bathroom stall.
- When over the radio there arose a
- This call could only be handled by
Officers Malloy and Reed!
- Away to the scene in Adam 12 they
- They thought they'd seen it all,
but this was something new.
- A 211 in progress, now ain't that
- Two drunks dressed as Uncle Sams,
robbing a fireworks stand.
- When what did Jim's trained eyes
see from afar?
- The two Sams trying to escape in a
- And quicker than anything, Pete
fled in pursuit -
- "We can't let them escape with
all that expensive loot!"
The Sam that was driving
was lively and quick;
Pete knew in a moment
this arrest had to stick.
Jim whistled and shouted
and called them by name,
"Stop, Sam and
Sam!" - He called them the same.
Like two fleeing
criminals who want to be free,
The two Sams turned right
and slammed into a tree.
They jumped from the car
as it burst into flames.
Pete screeched to a halt;
he was tired of their games.
- A crowd had gathered and simply
would not go -
- They weren't there for the arrest,
only the fireworks show.
- A spectacular light display burst
in the road;
- Pete and Jim stood silent, watching
- A stern look from Pete and a nod of
- Let the two Sams know they had
plenty to dread.
- The handcuffs were on and the fire
- Jim felt very angry and he started
- And pointing a finger at one Sam's
- Said, "Do you realize the
damage you've done at this place?"
- Pete turned to Jim and held up his
- "Never mind that, Jim, it was
just a fireworks stand."
- The two Sams were loaded in the
back of the car
- And transported to the station - it
wasn't very far.
- Jim heard Pete exclaim as they
drove past the mall,
- "Happy 4th to everyone, and
liberty and justice for all!"